The Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami is pleased to announce an open call to South Florida artists for a commission opportunity as part of the 2022 Art on the Plaza initiative.
This year, we are offering the opportunity for local artists to submit their work through an open call for Art on the Plaza 2022. We are requesting qualifications from professional artists in an effort to promote temporary installations on our public plaza and inspire our community and museum visitors. Selected artworks include but are not limited to:
- The building façade or architecture
- Interventions within or incorporating the fountain
- Freestanding elements
- Light-based artworks/projections
- Participatory artworks adhering to social distancing guidelines
- Landscape-based artworks or earthworks
Interested artists are invited to make proposals for temporary public art installations spanning three to four months in duration, with projects opening in July and September 2022. Each selected artist can be awarded up to $13,000.
Apply by Monday, March 28, 2022, 11:59 pm
Work Samples: up to 5 images of completed projects. Please label image files 1-5. (Jpeg)
Image Key: Create a caption list for the reach of the five work samples with the following information:
- Artist Name, title, year, medium, dimensions, and brief 1-2 sentence description. (PDF)
- Artist CV – Resume (PDF)
- Artist Statement (up to 200 words) – (PDF)
Convert PDF files and Jpeg images into a compressed zip file. Email the zip file as an attachment to [email protected] using “2022 Art on the Plaza” as the email subject line.
- Artists based in South Florida are invited to submit qualifications.
- A MOCA-appointed selection committee will review artists’ qualifications and recommend a shortlist of artists.
- Shortlisted artists will be invited to create full proposals and paid an honorarium for temporary artworks on MOCA Plaza in a competitive process.
- Artist proposals will be reviewed by a MOCA-appointed selection committee.
- Selected artists will implement projects with the support of Art on the Plaza Project Manager and Creative Director.
- Deadline to Submit Qualifications: Monday, March 28, 2022, 11:59 PM
- Selection Committee Review & Notification to Artists: March 29 – April 1, 2022
- Installation complete of Commission 1: July 2022 (On view through mid-September).
- Installation complete of Commission 2: Late September 2022 (On view through January 2023)
*Dates are subject to change